- PhD, University of Minnesota, Political Science, 2010
- EIMT Summer Institute, Washington University in St. Louis, 2007
- BA, University of Rochester, Political Science (High Honors) and Economics (Honors), 2005
Teaching and Research Areas
- Political economy of trade and foreign direct investment; politics of labor and multinational firms; research methods
Select Publications and Funded Research
- Owen, Erica. Forthcoming. “Exposure to Offshoring and the Politics of Trade Liberalization: Debates and Votes on Free Trade Agreements in the U.S. House of Representatives, 2001-2006.” International Studies Quarterly.
- Owen, Erica and Noel Johnston. Forthcoming. “Occupation and the Political Economy of Trade: Job routineness, offshorability and protectionist sentiment.” International Organization.
- Owen, Erica and Stefanie Walter. 2017. “Open Economy Politics and Brexit: Insights, Puzzles and Ways Forward.” Review of International Political Economy 24(2):179-202.
- Owen, Erica and Dennis Quinn. 2016. “Does Economic Globalization Inﬂuence the U.S. Policy Mood?: A Study of U.S. Public Sentiment, 1956-2011.” British Journal of Political Science 46(1): 95-125.
- Owen, Erica. 2015.“The Political Power of Organized Labor and the Politics of Foreign Direct Investment in Developed Democracies.” Comparative Political Studies 48(13): 1746-1780.
- Owen, Erica. 2013. “Unionization and Restrictions on Foreign Direct Investment.” International Interactions 39: 723-747.
- Collins, Kathleen and Erica Owen. 2012. “Islamic Religiosity and Regime Preferences: Explaining Support for Democracy and Political Islam in Central Asia and the Caucasus.” Political Research Quarterly 65(3): 499-516.
- Fang, Songying and Erica Owen. 2011. “International Institutions and Credible Commitment of Non-democracies.” The Review of International Organizations 6: 141-162.
Consultancies, Public Service, and Awards/Honors
- Section chair, “International Politics: Global Issues, IPE, and Human Rights,” 2015 Southern Political Science Association Meeting
- Co-organizer, “Politics of Foreign Direct Investment Conference” at Princeton University, 2011
- Reviewer for American Journal of Political Science, American Political Science Review, British Journal of Political Science, Comparative Political Studies, European Journal of International Relations, Foreign Policy Analysis, International Interactions, International Organization, International Studies Quarterly, Journal of Politics, Journal of Theoretical Politics, Party Politics, Review of International Organizations, and World Politics
Other Faculty and Academic Administration Positions
- Quantitative Political Analysis, Texas A&M University
- Polimetrics, Texas A&M University
- Globalization and Democracy, Texas A&M University
- Introduction to World Politics, Texas A&M University
- Quantitative Analysis in Political Science, University of Minnesota