LOCAL-TO-GLOBAL DISTINCTION: GSPIA/Pitt is one of only 4 comprehensive schools of public and international affairs—the other three are the Kennedy School at Harvard, the Maxwell School at Syracuse and the Price School at USC—that rank in the top 20 for both “International/Global Policy and Administration” (GSPIA ranks #7, and #1 among public universities) and “Local Government Management” (GSPIA ranks #19) in the 2018 US News Rankings for Public Affairs.
FOREIGN POLICY RANKING: GSPIA/Pitt is ranked #17 in the US (#3 among public universities) and #20 in the world in 2018 Foreign Policy ranking of “Top Master’s Programs for a Policy Career in International Relations.” GSPIA ranks #3 among policy schools with degrees accredited by NASPAA.
SHANGHAI-RANKING: GSPIA is ranked in the top 31 in the U.S, and #15 in the U.S. in publications, in the first ShanghaiRanking’s Global Ranking of Public Administration programs.
US NEWS: GSPIA is ranked #34 overall in the 2018 US News rankings for Public Affairs.
GSPIA Rankings in the Latest (2010-11) Academic Analytics Benchmark Data
- International Affairs and Development: (35 schools): GSPIA ranks #7 in total number of grants, #10 in total awards won by faculty members, #11 in citations per publication, #13 in books published per faculty member, #15 in total citations and citations per faculty member.
- Public Administration (51 schools): GSPIA ranks #6 in total number of books published and books published per faculty member, #9 in number of faculty members with a grant, #11 in total number of grants, #13 in number of faculty members who have won an award, #14 in total awards won by faculty members, #19 in citations per publication.
Biodemographics (Incoming students, Fall 2017)
- 69% full time, 31% part time
- 61% female, 39% male
- 41% out-of-state, 59% in-state
- 15% U.S. minority
- 20% international. Countries represented in the GSPIA student body include Argentina, Australia, China, Colombia, Brazil, Ghana, Guatemala, Guinea, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Mexico, Morocco, Nigeria, Nicaragua, Oman, Pakistan, Peru, South Korea, Vietnam, and others.
- 85% on-campus, 15% online (mid-career)
- Average age: 28
- 400 total students (158 new students)
- GSPIA ranks tied for second—behind only the Maxwell School at Syracuse University—in the number of NASPAA dissertation awards won by its doctoral students.
- GSPIA is one of only four schools to have produced two presidents of APSIA (the Association of Professional Schools of International Affairs) since the founding of the association in 1988.
- GSPIA is one of only nine schools to have produced at least two NASPAA (National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration) presidents. One GSPIA alumnus has also served as NASPAA president.
- Three GSPIA alumni have served as President of the ICMA (International City/County Management Association).
- Six GSPIA alumni have served as president of the Korean Association for Public Affairs.