With a focus in gender equality and public administration, Finkel is a co-director of the Gender Inequality Research Lab (GIRL) and has offered her expertise around the world. She was a Social Development Specialist for the Middle East and North Africa region, consulted for the International Food Policy Research Institute, and worked on gender-focused studies in Yemen, Egypt.
Teaching and Research Areas
Finkel's research focuses on four key areas:
- Comparative social policy in developed and developing countries
- Poverty and economic development
- Gender and development
- Japanese politics
Select Publications and Funded Research
- Global Glass Ceiling in Public Administration (2018-Present).
- Gender Equality in Public Administration (2015-Present).
- "A Gendered Perspective on Social Policies in Turkey: What Do Women Think?," Co-authored with Dr. Hulya Oztop, Journal of Education & Social Policy, Vol. 2, N.4, October 2015.
Awards and Honors
- Donald M. Goldstein Teacher of the Year, 2009 & 2015
Consultancies and Public Service
- World Bank
- The International Food Policy Research Institute
Other Academic Positions
- Director, Ford Institute for Human Security, GSPIA, University of Pittsburgh