Working for 13 years as a policy analyst and research consultant for several non-governmental organizations, Nelson is an expert on economics and the developing world. Currently, his courses focus on development, human rights, NGOs, food security, and religion and development.
- Global Development and Human Rights: The Sustainable Development Goals and Beyond. University of Toronto Press, Insights Series, 2021.
- Religious Voices in the Politics of International Development: Faith-Based NGOs and Political Mobilization. Palgrave/Macmillan, 2021.
- “Who Practices Rights-Based Development? A Progress Report on Work at the Nexus of Human Rights and Development.” World Development, 104, 97-107, April 2018. (with Ellen Dorsey).
- “Citizens, Consumers, Workers, Activists: Civil society during and after water privatization struggles.” Journal of Civil Society,13:2, 2017, 202-221.
- Henry Luce Foundation, “Religious Voices in International Development,” $100,000, four year grant awarded 2008.
- International development
- NGOS and non-profits
- Human rights, land, and water
- Religion and development
- Food security